All precious things, discover’d late,
To those that seek them issue forth;
For love in sequel works with fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
...Tennyson...

January 9, 2007

Green nail polish

When life starts to appear a little monotonous, i take pleasure in thinking wild things that i'd do to me , mostly in the form of makeovers as I'm great fan of the NDTV makeover show.I took my diary a jotted down the things that i'd do just for larks and live in the glory of that change however insignificant it may be.It is so boring to look at the same chamathu face reflected in my mirror everyday.

First and foremost, i wanted to get rid of that long old fashioned mane of mine and get a chic layer-cut done along with a bleach/streak. I had already started to imagine the burnished brown glints in my hair. Both mom and dad(who never interferes in my personal stuff otherwise) were dead against this.! M
a cherie mamma is a staunch believer of the traditional hairstyle (something like the 'long-tapering-hair-with-a-kunjalam-hairdo) Even now, she is apprehensive to let me go to the beauty parlor alone (even if it is for trimming my shaggy eye-brows) lest i should come home with a shorn head! After imagining all these, I decided to dismiss 'project-haircut/colour'.

Then I thought I'd go for permanent hair straightening.I walked into an ultra modern beauty salon and the snob of a beautician knocked the breath out of me by informing me that it'd cost around 10,000 rupees for the process.I thought of the poor little kids who go without a sqaure meal every day and hear I was thinking of straightening my hair for an absurdly huge amount.I wondered why I didn't think about such things in the first place.

My next wild idea was to pierce my nose and wear a black hippyish ring a la Sania Mirza. I went to the jewellery to get it done and literally fled when the 'piercing guy' produced a gun shot thing.I panicked, found my voice and asked him about the pain-factor.That guy just guffawed! To reconcile myself I bought a pressing-type nose ring on the way home (much to my disppointment).I'm still not bold enough to wear it out doors.Plan # 2 also ended up in dust.

I decided to get myself a fluoroscent coloured wrap-around skirt and a tee shirt with a blasphemous graffiti. I dismissed the idea as immediately as it cropped in my head when i thought of the gossipy mamis of my hyper conservative neighbourhood.I imagined a prospective remark i'd hear in the streets had i dared to dress up so-"kali kaalam...ponnugal ellam epdi dress pannikaradu! Paavadai-daavani pottundu lakshanama varapdaatho?Andha kaalathula naangellam evlo adakkama iruppom!" Hang conventionalities!

I was at my wits end to try something new, wild and original for myself. I was pining for it and was losing sleep over it.My research work was lying untouched.I was thinking very hard about it.At the end I (with self-disgust and an air of resignation) got a green coloured nail polish and applied it on my finger- and toe-nails with relish. I laid my predicament to rest.So much for trying to be wild. I guess wild people are not made.They are born!

2 Wisecracks:

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

Conventionalities cannot be hanged, it is our inhibitions that have to be.

To try something new, we need to be born anew- something that though we might try our best, west mambalam will not let us to do!!! :D

Nithya said...

"I guess wild people are not made.They are born!"

Well said..Amazing post :)

Hey ! I am Nithya, a regular reader of yours and Sandhya's posts. You people write beautifully be it in ut resperctive blog pages or in Chennaiist :)