All precious things, discover’d late,
To those that seek them issue forth;
For love in sequel works with fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
...Tennyson...

January 10, 2007

Orkuttomania

I try not to look at my PC soon after i wake up.But i feel weak in my knees and something uses me as an instrument to unrobe the computer and switch it on. "Damn!"I mutter to myself."Why is this taking such a long time to boot".I connect to the 'net and in a feverish haste type away the words www.orkut.com and login. Sigh! I check the scraps and friend requests (of course i ward of despos wanting 'fraanship')This is how a typical day begins for me-college or no college.Yes guys! My greatest affliction of the recent past has been Orkuttomania or Chronic Orkut Syndrome.Orkut possesses me like a devil and leads to a uber waste of time.Despite knowing perfectly well that it is an amazingly easy way to kill time,i do it. Soon after i log off, a queer kind of guilt grips me and i think up some weak justifications to satisfy my raging conscience. I ask myself the reason for such a maniacal behaviour of logging on to orkut everyday(sometimes it is thrice a day!. I wonder if there are people are like me.

Last night, i seriously considered to delete my profile trying hard to be oblivious of the nice little rows of ice cubes, smileys and hearts arranged beside my name.Today, i'm making a firm resolution that i wouldn't go anywhere near that confounded website or read/alter my own profile for the millionth time or post some silly threads in the nonsensical communities.I guess these are like the words of a drunkard who promises never ever to touch his bottle of alcohol. I wonder if this resolution is going to last.I wonder if there are any 'Orkut de-addiction camps' conducted in my city or 'Orkuttaholics Anonymous Meets' for that matter.

Through this post, i welcome some constructive suggestions from 'kindred spirits' who are as hooked to orkut as i am and save a soul in distress.

11 Wisecracks:

Sheks said...

HI.First time here.

There's a way out.Leave ur computer under the control of ur parents or siblings.They'll use a password to lock the PC so that u stay away from it completely for about 10 days.After that you will notice a drastic dip in orkutting levels.

Disclaimer:I cant guarantee u the effectiveness of my solution.One friend of mine tried this but at the end of 10 days she became more desperate and thus her orkutting level rose twentyfold.

Venkata Gopala Rao said...

hi.. i was observing the same mania in few of my friends, who always hang on with the same site. giving funny replies and looking for something more..

i think, leaving that site aside unless you receive a scrap from somebody you really know will do the thing.. try it! if you don't really have something more important to do, i don't think it is a serious problem at all! after all, time pass is what is needed when the brain has no other work! good luck

mrsgollum said...

its an ego boost..talking,getting to know people and receiving scraps, being respected and sharing..orkut that is:)..and we are only human. most human pursuits - good or bad relate to the ego. no point in questioning the futility of it all:).

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

Agree with Anna totally!!! It is an ego boost- to know that there are people out there who spare a second to come and scrap! :) So don't you dare reprimand yourself for such a lofty pursuit of an ego massage- Parlours wouldn't give them!!! Only Orkut does!!!

;) ;) ;)

Anonymous said...

i can help you sis....I'll block orkut completely from your system. Heck i'll make sure your system crashes the second you punch "orkut" on the keyboard...Deal?

Vinesh said...

Especially strange that people use Orkut scrapbook as instant messengers - don't you think?

Aprilslady said...

Hey guys...thanks for the 'guidelines':)

@Vinesh...
Orkut is getting a tad too public...Somehow,people are making everything very public.

radiantbear said...

Whoa! I deleted my profile twice for the matter of fact and still got a new one.!!

Now I was thinking you'd have something to say about how to quit.:(

Nithya said...

Umm well before I comment out here, do check out the "Green nail polish post comment section" :D

Well Orkut is darn addictive. I too follow this dumb ritual of waking up every morning and sitting in front of my PC to check how many scraps I've received frm my frnds.

I've been wanting to break free from the shackles of orkuttomania, but am unable to do so. Agreed there isn't any harm in just scrapping and writing testimonials and stuff. But its just that orkut extracts all the time that you have. Orkut is THE place for vettis !!

Lovely post :)

Hamsini said...

Oh,hell,let's start a self help orkut-holics community on orkut!:P

Unknown said...

welcome to my world..s;-).. i was reading about the same, below links might interest you:


Is Internet addiction real?


Internet addiction disorder


Internet Addiction Test (IAT)


Net Addiction


/Yuva