All precious things, discover’d late,
To those that seek them issue forth;
For love in sequel works with fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
...Tennyson...

June 4, 2009

Seeking grooms resembling Shah Rukh Khan- others excuse!

My fingers have been itching to write this out and try to make a cameo appearance in my neglected blog space. A few days back, I was browsing a popular matrimony website and was extremely amused to find an option that helped one find a match that resembled a celebrity! I found a list of amateur celebrity sketches specific to the region in that popular website. The celebrity-sketches are grouped region-wise. Of course the celebrity-list is dominated by the members of the film industry . There are also some from the world of sports. It was hard to keep a straight face when I saw Karsan Bhai Patel and Himesh Reshmiya on the list of resemblance-worthy celebrities.

If someone wants to find a soul mate who resembles Aishwarya Rai, he has to go the Hindi section of this portal , choose Ash's picture and voila! a long list of girls 'resembling' Ash appear on the screen. Just for larks, I tried finding look-alikes of Aamir Khan and was completely horrified on seeing the results! My horror was not due to the way the prospective grooms looked, it was because of the fact that not one person remotely resembled Aamir Khan. This was true for several other celebrities as well. I wonder if there is any point in having such a feature at all in a respectable matrimonial website. This is not fun stuff like the one I found in myheritage.com.

This initiative is both innovative and disturbing. It is a highly creative attempt to promote their website (not that they need such a gimmick for promoting it!) Though this feature can keep the soul mate hunters very engrossed in their website, it encourages people to expect film star or celebrity looks in a person who need not appear like one. The trend in marriage market is already unhealthy. People want only 'fair and slim' girls. To add humour to this, they want a 'homely' girl. This is a highly ridiculous demand. Not many know the real meaning of the word 'homely'. Even the so called 'educated' people resort to making this absurd usage! The girls too have their own set of 'larger than life' demands from boys. For example, a friend of mine wanted to marry only a green card holder.To top all these, we now have an additional feature: 'I will only marry a guy who looks like Hrithik Roshan- others excuse'- sort of demands. Is it fair and realistic to seek such things when two people are going to share their lives in the bond of marriage?

3 Wisecracks:

Venkata Gopala Rao said...

Back from hibernation, finally? I expected that you would come back in April, though ;-)

Coming to the post... yes, the picture of marriage market is already ugly. I think the approach of business, where dark corners of human psyche are catered in some fancy ways, has entered these matrimonials too! God help those who wants celebrity look-alike as their partner!

Unknown said...

;) i laugh out loud when i hear this.

expectations are expectations but nothing comes for free questions is what are we willing to compromise for it. if you are Hrithik Roshan then you can expect for Ash.. otherwise i would recommend folks to buy a mirror. ;)

Aprilslady said...

@ Venkata Gopala Rao
Yes.I am back :) Basic common sense can help such people. Why should one disturb God for that ;)

@ Yuva
Unfortunately, all people have an over healthy ego and conveniently forget to take a look at themselves.