All precious things, discover’d late,
To those that seek them issue forth;
For love in sequel works with fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
...Tennyson...

June 25, 2007

Ponderings in a Pediatric Ward...

Here are some bits and pieces of my thoughts which visited me when I was in the waiting in the Pediatric ward of a famous hospital...
I think the Pediatric ward of any hospital is one of the most ironically depressing as well as joyous places on earth.Most of the kids don't have any idea why they are there.I guess kids are about the only kind of population that laugh heartily even in a hospital!Their innocence is bliss.If only they knew about the bitter medicines and painful shots they might probably get ,I'm sure these tots wouldn't even think of smiling.
He was very tiny-about 2 years old. I almost laughed out aloud as he was wriggling in his dad's arms.Soon after he put him down he was eager to potter about in the hospital corridors with all his energy.He walked in glee in a giddy-gaddy manner.His small palm was heavily bandaged with an IV syringe stuck into it. He was dressed in a green tee shirt and yellow shorts. His outfit was absurdly small that I wondered how a tailor actually managed to stitch such a tiny outfit!He was extremely lively banging the the chairs with his other hand, babbling and laughing to himself.I couldn't help but wonder about the reason that brought him there...
This is an interesting place to let your imagination run wild.All the waiting rooms, for that matter are interesting places.Millions of happy and sad things are witnessed there.There are stories of hope and victory over the evil of ill-health.Yet there are instances of the occasional glimpse you get of The Great Presence.
There were new parents and expectant ones.Their faces were an amazing mixture of anxiety and and happiness. I simply trembled to imagine me in their places.Parenthood entices scores of positive things in one's lifetime, yet it is the most demanding time.Motherhood must be one of the most beautiful and divine period for a woman. I think a person truly grows-up and becomes unselfish on becoming a parent. This awesome change is so unique to early adulthood. You become officially and deeply responsible for another tiny, yet beautiful life which you bring in to this world, perfectly knowing the challenges ahead.You are totally amazed at the amount of noise such a tender form of life swaddled helplessly in fresh white towels can make!
My sojourn in the waiting room came to an abrupt-end when the doc stuck her head out for me...

4 Wisecracks:

Unknown said...

appreciate it.. absolute joy and dependence of a newborn infant inspired many things, but it might not t activate any magical knowledge about what to do for the first twenty years...;!¬)

Venkata Gopala Rao said...

Parenthood entices scores of positive things in one's lifetime, yet it is the most demanding time.Motherhood must be one of the most beautiful and divine period for a woman. I think a person truly grows-up and becomes unselfish on becoming a parent.

very true and nicely said!

Nithya said...

"I think a person truly grows-up and becomes unselfish on becoming a parent"

You have said absolutely everything, that I possibly wanted to say, in a single sentence Motherhood is definitely divine..'Tis worth the pangs suffered during the period of parturition and gestation :)

Aprilslady said...

Gopal & Nithya
Thank you...:)
sadly epidural is spoiling the fun these days;)