This post could be the height of my craziness, but something worth pondering over when you have nothing else to do.
I have come across quite a number of exceptionally successful women (success in career, I mean) in my not so long a lifetime and have been inspired by them in more ways than one. An entirely different aspect about them has struck me always. All these women have one thing in common about them in their physical appearance. (As I type this I am actually shutting my eyes and counting them one by one!) They all have a closely cropped head which they manage to carry off so beautifully.
Statement of the problem: (This is what comes of endlessly writing and breaking your head over project proposals!!!):
Is or isn’t long hair a determinant of beauty?
Let’s test this hypothesis with some valid ‘hairy’ arguments…
The irony of this issue is this. 99.99% of men seem to like to see a long-haired woman (Stats courtesy: The Internet). I’ve almost given up trying to figure-out the ‘Whys’ of this- not that I’m overly concerned about a man’s opinion on matters like this. If we put two and two together, do men dislike successful women? I’m completely bemused (and amused!) about this long-hair short-hair argument. In passing, I wonder why most women dislike long-haired men?
The concept of feminine beauty has undergone a tremendous change lately. Gone are the days of ‘saamudrika lakshanam’ which had a clear-cut and rigid definition for beauty. Why SHOULD long-hair signify beauty? Why not otherwise? All these aforesaid short-haired women are truly beautiful. At least I feel so. I don’t know what the men folk think about them. I never cared or dared to ask. I don’t recall meeting a successful woman in the recent past sporting that legendary ‘aaradi koondal’ and occupying a high position. Isn’t that strange?
I know this post is utterly pointless. But still, when one comes to think of such things, they surely become a food for amusement. I think there are too many sensible blog-posts in blogdom and a couple of crazy ones like this will help in unwinding! Before I sign off here’s the conclusion:
Long hair is a nuisance when one happens to be the owner of it-irrespective of success or failure in one’s career!

12 Wisecracks:
Wat a great article yaar. tho' many wont be interested i really like ur 'hairy' blog. I have always been fascinated with long hair maids. even i had one 'its a dream' hmmm. But i beleive in fairy tales she is the one who had a long hair na?
In one of Asterix stories, the use of hair-related idioms is really good. I wonder how a translation could be so good.
Great post...I am a man, and as you said a long-hair-liker; but, anyway, short hair cannot prevent a feminine woman to be feminine and long hair does not give feminity to the one who is not...
Thanks for your visit!
//Is or isn’t long hair a determinant of beauty?//...;) yes yes... I always felt so. long and black hair.
but honesty, I didn't know why.. until i recent saw a discovery documentary about evolutions.
it seems to be an evolutionary reason for men to prefer long hair because -- Experiments and observations have demonstrated that a woman's hair plays a major role in how men rate a woman's attractiveness. and attractive by the opposite sex serve as indicators of reproductive fitness. quality and length of hair serves as a marker of genetic strength and overall health. it seems, in general Men intent to rate longer haired women as healthier and fitter than shorter haired women.
also, that documentary highlights a research that researchers found that women who had originally been rated by a test group as being less attractive were rated far more highly when shown with a longer hairstyle. The experimenters concluded that longer hairstyles increase women's attractiveness in part because longer hair helps to disguise less desirable features. Long hair tends to make the jaw line slimmer and less prominent and draws attention away from undefined cheekbones. Also,long hair also contributes to a more feminine and youthful appearance.
and ofcourse, its nothing to do with career.. or atleast i dont have any knowledge about this theory...;¬)
and //In an hour of madness-Part 2//.. where is Part I ???!!;)
Read Part-I here
http://aprilslady.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html
"Long hair is a nuisance when one happens to be the owner of it-irrespective of success or failure in one’s career!"
Well said...Maintaining long hair is one big ordeal...And you can't do any other thing(read style) to ur hair other than that conventional braid style..And as regards successful women (with short hair), I think those ppl never wasted much time tending to their hair, removing the knots from their hair, applying oil or having a prim and proper Shikhakhai-oil bath...:P
Oh Nithya...
It's wonderful to find someone who agrees with me:)Would love to meet you someday!
what do men do to disguise their less desirable features?;)
I love short hair! :) I insisted on cutting my hair for the two reasons you mentioned
1) That men hate short hair(and i insisted on them hating me! :P)
2) short hair makes u more successful! :D :D :D
:D
Sure, long hair attracts men and short hair means less waste of time on it.. so it proves that successful women use their time more wisely, but they are less attractive to men (at least the traditional and orthodox ones)..
Post a Comment