
I was rummaging my bookshelf to get hold of a ‘delicious book’ to read. Books that are fit to be read when it is raining like hell ought to be called ‘delicious’. No other would do as much justice to the ‘feel’ and ‘meaning’ of it. I found my set of Emily Books. I decided to read ‘Emily’s Quest’ for what seemed to be the millionth time since I had finished reading its prequels. I was curled up with one eye on Emily and another on the maddening downpour. Life had become near-decent again! There- no one will visit my blog to offer sympathies hereafter. I stretched lazily after a while when Mom asked me into the kitchen- which has never been my favourite haunt save for the frequent snack-visits I make. Never in my life have I dreamt of cooking though I’ve looked at such a ‘hobby’ askance.
Now my very ‘Victorian’ Mom has started to get nightmares about my cooking abilities. Though she doesn’t say so, I know she’s thinking of my future mother-in-law who might throw the dish towel at me and rub my cooking ignorance (or innocence!) on my poor mom. Hence the arrangement of summoning me inside kitchen every evening for non-snacking purposes. I think I have started to plunge into cooking with gusto. Now kitchen and I are thick friends, though I still get confused with the order of the tins and other stuff.
There’s no telling what my ‘fickleness’ would do to my cooking-ambition if it gets monotonous in the future. I have always been interested in Nutrition rather than the actual cooking. But now, I feel like a chef (what is ‘chef’s feminine gender by the way?) after making the basic stuff like boiling milk, cooking rice, rasam, sundal, dal, chapatti,etc…
I think cooking is a wonderful hobby during gloomy days. It is one of the splendid methods of ‘creation’. It gives the same satisfaction and pride as the one acquired by a novelist after finishing a novel or an artist after painting a portrait. Any art of creation is beautiful and purposeful in itself. I guess that is where cooking holds the charm. I’m surprised that it has helped me cheer up and get on with life. Of all the things on earth used as mood-lifters, the art of cooking has emerged as a sure winner for me!

1 Wisecracks:
cooking might look like a wonderful hobby during gloomy days...when we have mom around but once you are on your own...its more of a punishment.
Post a Comment