These days I'm glued to the Idea Star Singer Programme on Asianet Channel. It is super fun to watch this reality show on music every evening at 8.30. This long-running music competition is judged by M.G.Sreekumar (Malayalam Playback singer), Sharad (Music composer) and Usha Uthup (our own darling pop singer). I noticed something very interesting about this programme. Though telecast in a Malayalam TV channel, there is absolutely no disparity among the participants as well as the judges when it came to selection of the songs. They give equal importance to all languages and not just Malayalam. I haven't seen such a trend in any of the Tamil or Hindi channels. They stick to their own language. Though this cannot be strictly termed as narrow mindedness, I'm unable to find a term to name such a trend.
Any form of art should transcend the barriers of caste, creed, nationality or language. The more a person appreciates art, the more she acquires broad mindedness. Yesterday a Malayali participant sang Uyirey song from the film Bombay. He switched to the Hindi version for charanam # 2. One of the judges Actor(and noted comedian) Jagadeesh (also a Malayali) commented that music is a form of devotion and expression of love. It has nothing to do with language. I felt deeply moved.
Another programme on Kairali TV (another Malayalam TV Channel) Raagotsavam is the carnatic counterpart of such a healthy trend. The presenters involve a number of Musicians and Carnatic music exponents from Tamil Nadu for presenting their views on a particular raagam. A particular raagam was discussed in-depth every week. Talent was the only thing that was given sole importance in that programme.
Most Malayalam channels are extremely broad-minded about featuring non-Malayalam programmes or giving prominence for non-Malayalis. I've hardly come across such stuff here. I am stymied trying to find the reason for this.
I am yet to come across such a trend (or a form of national integration) in any of the so called popular Tamil or Hindi Channels.
Another programme on Kairali TV (another Malayalam TV Channel) Raagotsavam is the carnatic counterpart of such a healthy trend. The presenters involve a number of Musicians and Carnatic music exponents from Tamil Nadu for presenting their views on a particular raagam. A particular raagam was discussed in-depth every week. Talent was the only thing that was given sole importance in that programme.
Most Malayalam channels are extremely broad-minded about featuring non-Malayalam programmes or giving prominence for non-Malayalis. I've hardly come across such stuff here. I am stymied trying to find the reason for this.
I am yet to come across such a trend (or a form of national integration) in any of the so called popular Tamil or Hindi Channels.

1 Wisecracks:
hey, i tried for the audio track of the same song. do you have any idea where i can get that?
Post a Comment