I was trying in vain to analyize Mumbai when I was on my way back home.I decided one thing on the spot. It is a city with an immense personality.You either love it or hate it. There can never be an emotion in-between. I've often wondered how I'd describe my feelings in words about this city.My previous visits have found me at a loss of words. I was younger then. Everything in that great city is done methodically with clock work precision. My haphazard nature doen't allow me to love these things. In Mumbai, you are always a Mumbaikar-never yourself!I guess Mumbai can be best described as a seductive woman who allures people with an intoxicating goblet of wine held stylishly in her ever-beckonong hands.It is hard to resist her charms and it is hard to befriend her, for she never reveals her dark secrets to me. There is so much to explore about her that I forget to make friends with her each time I visit her. She is like a busy mom who keeps moving forward. She loves her children, but doesn't have time for crooning those sweet lullabies.
On the other hand, Chennai is a sonsy lady with the frank gaze of a child and the gurgling laughter of a baby. There is no elusive air about her. Yet, there is a sense of belonging you'd immediately identify with her-rather effortlessly.You feel like confiding into her and make her your bosom friend.Without being clannish, you'd love Chennai. I think 'love' and 'analysis' are arch enemies. You can never love the things you try to analyze deeply.

12 Wisecracks:
True true verrrrrrrrrry true....Hi5 ..In fact i was born in Mumbai..Every holz i pay a visit to my grandparents,out there in Mum..I hate the city actually, the people too..Crowd here, Crowd there crowd crowd everywhere..People are double-faced..Faces are painted with thick coats of artificiality...I somehow can't relate myself to Mumbai..I loved the way u drew a comparison between the cities and women :)..Home(town) sweet Home(town) anyday
"u can never love the things u try to analyze deeply"...so so true..analyze,love or love,analyze whichever comes first,wht u coined was perfect!!;) nice tale of two cities ;)
Thanks guys;)
"u can never love the things u try to analyze deeply"
I disagree with this. Feynman explains it better here
(view the first few minutes)
http://holycuriosity.blogspot.com/
I totally agree with your views on Chennai. The 'sonsy' lady is getting hotter by the day :P
As for Mumbai, I know nothing about it.
Sangeetha,
Your thoughts about Mumbai is very true, either people like it too much or hate it too much. I have been to mumbai and I feel it is one city, which lives 100% in present day, with out worrying about previous's days problem and next day's mystery.
I like the statement "You can never love the things you try to analyze deeply". But I think it depends on the cirsumstances. Take for example Indian cricket Team. We analyze deeply about our cricket team, we still love them (when winning) and hate them (when losing).
I no longer love our Indian cricket team;)
"u can never love the things u try to analyze deeply"
I was justing checking the page for your response to my comment and your profile says that you are a researcher!!! :-O:-O:-O:-O
There is a WORLD of difference between loving/hating a CITY and one's PROFESSION.My profession is like my love for Chennai;)
BTW...I can say anything about my research only in its final phases.I've just begun!One shouldn't assume my love for it!It is rather too early:)
First, I did not try to get personal in my previous comment. My apologies if that had offended you.
/* There is a WORLD of difference between loving/hating a CITY and one's PROFESSION. */
I thought you were trying to generalise it as you said
/*u can never love the 'things'.... */
What I meant was, its difficult to find the motivation to analyse things that you don't love deeply. Anyway, different people different opinions.
I hope you could make it to the next CRY Volunteer's meet, which is tentatively on 13th May.
Cheers
No...you did not offend me.It is nice to be part of a healthy argument :)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the meeting.
//You can never love the things you try to analyze deeply.//.. BUI, i think analysis and love cannot be enemies, as long as you dont analyze why you love something/place/person...
and unfortunate, as human being we cannot avoid analysis without comparison and soon you start comparing its mostly subject and not objective.
chennai-- home is always home. mumbai-- hm..!
whatz in place.! its all abt people.. if you know some nice people and good decent experience traveling around.. then its always impressive.
i guess, cities(like men) you are better off-- by not trying to understand but just experiencing it... then you would be fascinated by place/people.
/Yuva
btw: iam sure abt onething-- mumbai taxis are zillion times better than madras autos.
Oh! So cities are like men, eh? ;)I thought cities were more fascinating;)!!!
All my relatives in Mumbai are extremely loving people...yet I'm unable to love Mumbai.
As far as the auto question is concerned...YOU PULL MY LEG WITH THAT ISSUE ALL THE TIME :)
Post a Comment